DABINETT ORGANIC CIDER SAUSAGE & APPLE CASSEROLE
• 300ml Dunkertons Organic Dabinett cider*
• 200g The Cotswold Curer pancetta*
• 50g Netherend Farm butter*
• 8 organic pork sausages
• 6 shallots, peeled and left whole
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
3 celery sticks sliced
• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 300ml fresh chicken stock
• 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 2 Cox apples
*Ingredients available from our Cheltenham Shop
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and the sausages and cook until brown, then transfer to a plate.
- In the same casserole dish add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes until the fat is crisp and brown. Transfer to the plate with the sausages.
- Add half the butter (25g) and, when melted, add the onions and garlic.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes
- Remove the lid and stir in the parsnips and celery and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato purée and flour, then gradually stir in the Dabinett organic cider and stock and bring to the boil.
- Return the sausages and pancetta to the casserole, then stir in the sage and mustard.
- Place the lid on the casserole and put in the pre-heated oven to cook for 40 minutes.
- When the casserole is ready, melt the remaining butter in a non-stick frying
- Quarter, core and slice the apples into wedges.
- Add them to the pan and fry gently for 2-3 minutes until golden all over and just tender. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Remove the cooked casserole from the oven and stir in the apples.